Monday, June 9, 2014

Does Your Discipline Policy Give Several Chances for an Employee to Improve His or Her Performance?

Does Your Discipline Policy Give Several Chances for an
Employee to Improve His or Her Performance?

The reason I started a virtual human resource management and consulting company was for the exact reason asked in the above title.  After working in the legal field for over 20 years, I was downsized from a large law firm. I had no idea I was so easily dispensable. Anyway at the same point in my life, one of the most important people in my life was facing health challenges that were surfacing so quickly, our heads were spinning.  It’s amazing how quickly life can change!  Did I mention the word AMAZING!

In a surprising turn of event, I found myself virtual transcribing unemployment hearing tapes. Who knew right? While quite comical at times, this brought me to my niche – my passion for helping small- medium-sized enterprise (SME) owners. It was during this virtual transcriptionist role, I was amazed – yes amazed at the procedures or lack thereof SME owners conducted or did not conduct that had substantial and sometimes even detrimental to their companies.

The TRUTH is human resources is NOT easy and everybody and anybody cannot do HR. One of the most common problems I heard over and over and over and over…, was the progressive discipline policy or LACK thereof that was in place or NOT, at any given time. When there is NO Progressive discipline policy executed and implemented, there will be consequences.

That is where All-4-HR actually began! All-4-HR & Business Solutions provides, implements and execute policies to avoid uncomfortable, unfavorable decisions that could have and would have been avoided by simply following progressive discipline policies, AND all other human resource policies. Document, Document, Documents and then…  Document some More!

In executing your progressive discipline policy, be sure to be consistent. Do not simply include the policy in the employee handbook and do not utilize it! You must exercise consistency. Remember the purpose of the any and all policies is to protect the employer, as well as the employee.  Make sure your policies are followed to the letter.


For a sample progressive discipline policy, click here 


All-4-HR & Business Solutions
http://www.all4hr.net
all4hrbiz@gmail.com


Managing SME HR in-the-Cloud! 








No comments:

Post a Comment